If you live in Florida, here are some of the most frequently asked questions.
What is a teacher evaluation?
What can a parent/guardian expect at a teacher evaluation?
Parents/guardians should interview the teacher evaluator to be sure the expectations of all parties are acceptable. It is recommended that home school families locate a teacher evaluator in the beginning of the school year to determine what exactly the evaluator will expect. Knowing what the evaluator will expect will help the parent/guardian decide on a record keeping method which supports the evaluation method. Parents/guardians might ask the evaluator:
- Do you hold a current, valid Florida teaching certificate to teach academic subjects at an elementary or secondary level?
- Are you familiar with home education?
- Are you a home schooling parent?
- What words would best describe your educational philosophy?
- Have you evaluated home educated students in the past?
- What can I expect to occur during the evaluation?
- Are the parents/guardians encouraged to remain with the child?
- How long can I expect the evaluation to last?
- Where does the evaluation take place?
- Homeschoolers in the state Florida can find out more about home education from Florida Parent Educators Association. Their website features a host of information from the daily ins and outs of home education to the legal considerations and support group information. They also host an annual convention on Memorial Day weekend.There is also additional information on my website http://www.cherylbastian.com/.